As the top modern (post-1992) University in Scotland (Complete University Guide 2021), Robert Gordon University's applied learning, strong industry links, state-of-the-art facilities and demand driven courses will ensure you have a fantastic experience at university, while gaining the knowledge and skills required for a successful career. Robert Gordon University (RGU) was also recently awarded Scottish University of the Year whereas its business school has bagged the prestigious Business School of the Year award by The Times Higher Education 2021.
Learning and Teaching
All of RGU's courses will provide you with practical, hands-on learning and teaching experiences.
- Awarded a Gold Rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), placing RGU in the top 20 percent of the best universities in the UK for the quality of undergraduate teaching and learning
- 2nd in Scotland and in the UK* for overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2020). *Excludes small, specialist and private providers
- 3rd largest UK provider of distance learning Master’s courses (HESA 18/19. Data based on FTE calculations of first year UK students)
- 4th in the UK for course satisfaction (Guardian University Guide 2021)
- 12th in the UK for teaching satisfaction (Guardian University Guide 2021)
Whether you are looking for a job during your studies or after you’ve graduated, or you want to switch or advance your career, RGU will ensure you are ready to succeed in the world of work.
- Top in Scotland for graduate employability with 97.6 percent of respondents entering employment and/or further study within 6 months of graduating (2016/17 DLHE survey, HESA 2018)
- 2nd in the UK (and top 50 in the world) in the Graduate Employment Rate measure (QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020)
RGU continually engage and build upon their industry links to ensure courses are demand driven, of the highest quality and tailored to meet the current and future needs of employers. Many of RGU's courses will offer you the opportunity to undertake a period of work experience or placement, collaborate with businesses on live projects and attend industry guest lectures and masterclasses, providing you the chance to make connections and network with potential future employers.
- 1st in Scotland and in the top 10 in the UK for good industry connections and high-quality facilities (The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018)
Aberdeen City and Shire
Aberdeen is a cosmopolitan, creative and connected place – with people from across the world working and studying here. There is something for everyone, you will be part of a lively, vibrant, student friendly city with great culture, shops, restaurants, live music, bars and nightlife. Aberdeenshire has a stunning coastline with vast, spectacular sandy beaches and picturesque fishing villages, and with 300 castles, stately homes and ruins dotting its landscape, it is unsurprisingly known as ‘Scotland’s Castle Country’.
Aberdeen is also often referred to by its friendly locals as ‘The Granite City’, and ‘The Silver City with the Golden Sands’ because almost all of its buildings are made of the local grey stone, granite, and the city has spectacular sandy coastlines to the east (not to mention some of the UK’s highest mountains to the west).
The weather is far milder here than one might expect for the northern location. The east coast is actually the sunniest area in Scotland, where sunshine hours average around 1,500 per year, ideal for the outdoor and active lifestyle which attracts huge numbers of people to the area throughout the year.
With the Grampian Mountains and Cairngorms National Park right on the doorstep, there are plentiful opportunities for mountain biking, mountain climbing, skiing, snowboarding and white water rafting within easy reach of the city.
- Aberdeen is named as the best Scottish city and in the top 10 in the UK to live and work in (Demos-PwC Good Growth for Cities Index November 2019)
- Aberdeen is ranked as the joint most affordable city in the UK (QS World University Rankings 2019)
- Aberdeen is in the top 10 best student cities in the UK (QS Top Universities 2019)
- Aberdeen is the 3rd best city in the UK for millennials (Totally Money 2019)
- Aberdeen has retained its Purple Flag status for the city’s evening and night-time economy for the 7th year in a row. Areas awarded the Purple Flag standard are recognised for providing a vibrant and diverse mix of dining, entertainment and culture, while promoting the safety and wellbeing of visitors and local residents.
According to The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey, 2016 – RGU is equal in the UK with Oxford University for the quality of their facilities and boast a state-of-the-art learning facility in a beautiful riverside campus location.
RGU has invested £120 million in the development of their campus including modern, purpose-built facilities, industry standard equipment and dedicated study spaces. You will benefit from these exceptional facilities by undertaking industry-level projects and study in an environment that encourages independence and innovation.
Student support services at RGU are far-reaching and include:
- Student help point – for finance, accommodation, travel or systems support
- Careers and Employability Centre – for mock interviews, CV support, job searching, internship/placement support during studies and mock graduate assessment training
- Disability and Dyslexia Centre – for students with specific support needs
- Study Skills Support – for students who would like help with English language, essay structuring, study planning and any other academic support out-with classes
- IT Help Desk – for any IT issues for personal laptops and devices
- Students' Union - this is a student run organisation managing the running of societies and clubs across the university. Organising Freshers' Week. Proving confidential services such as Nightline, health and advice and support
- Student Counselling & Wellbeing Centre – counsellors and advisors who can talk over issues that may be concerning to you such as depression, fitting in, adjusting to university life, stress, relationship difficulties and more
- RGU: Sport – Is the on campus sports centre which includes:
- An Olympic size swimming pool
- 2 Cardio rooms
- 2 Resistance rooms
- Various exercise classes including Spin training
- Climbing wall
- Bouldering room
- Sports Hall
There are student accommodations available both in and near the campus as well as in the heart of the city centre. The cost varies from £98-£150 per week roughly and there is an option for apartments, ensuite bedrooms and bedrooms with shared facilities depending on the preference of the students. There is also alternative options for students to rent private accommodation in Aberdeen if you prefer, or if you are travelling with family.
The RGU campus is based on a beautiful grassy riverside so a very relaxing place to study, that offers lots of outside study or social areas. There are also various eating establishments including Subway, Costa, Starbucks and Jamie Oliver Deli, making it a very sociable campus to be a part of.
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?
The information on this page has been submitted by the higher education institution itself, and it varies how frequently they update it. If you want to know more, get in touch and one of our student advisors will answer all your questions!
Across the Pond is the official representative for this teaching institution for selected countries around the world which means we can help you apply to their courses and help with all the documents needed to submit an application. We can help answer questions about their courses and the institution itself as they do not necessarily have the capacity to deal with student enquiries from all around the world on a daily basis. This also means that they can ask us questions about your application and we can help explain if they are not familiar with your grades, academic background or the educational system in your home country. They also appreciate that students who apply through Across the Pond get the help they need, not only in terms of submitting the application and supporting documents, but also with everything needed pre-arrival in the UK, such as student accommodation, visa information, funding information and well as preparing for departure to the UK.