Situated on the south coast of England, right in the centre of the vibrant city of Southampton, Solent University is home to around 12,800 staff and students. They have recently been awarded TEF Silver in recognition of our excellent teaching. Solent always puts students first, so you'll be welcomed and supported from the very start. With more than 200 qualifications ranging from Bachelors to PhDs, their lively campus community is home to over 100 different nationalities and a massive range of sports and societies.
Solent has everything you need to prepare for and build a fantastic future – the latest knowledge, essential practical and professional skills, superb industry contacts and cutting-edge facilities. £100m investment will be made to the campus by 2020, and the stunning £33m Spark building has recently opened.
The main campus is situated in the city centre, but is also close to the sea, there are plenty of parks nearby, and it’s just an hour by train from London too.
Solent offers practical and professional courses in a wide range of subject areas:
- Architecture and construction
- Art and design
- Business and finance
- Computing and games
- English and journalism
- Health and psychology
- Law and criminology
- Marketing, communications and public relations
- Music and performance
- Sport and fitness
- Travel and tourism
- TV, film and media technology
LIFE IN SOUTHAMPTON
Southampton is one of the south coast’s most vibrant cities – and Solent puts you right in the heart of it. There is something for everyone. Beautiful city centre parks, an electric night-time economy and a thriving arts and music scene all meet to offer residents something truly unique.
Moving away from West Quay (one of the UK’s largest shopping centres) and towards the waterfront, you’ll find a hub of independent eateries, venues and stores. At the other end of the city is Bedford Place, the centre of the city’s nightlife and home to a huge range of pubs and clubs.
It’s a short trip to the famous beaches of Bournemouth or the ancient streets of Winchester. Southampton Airport is your ideal ticket to the rest of the UK or even Europe. And of course, London is just a short train ride away – the perfect day trip.
Solent is focused on giving you access to cutting-edge facilities with the latest tools and equipment – whatever course you’re studying.
- A digital student-run 3D cinema with Dolby Atmos audio
- FA-accredited sports facilities including our multimillion-pound Test Park sports ground, with a floodlit football stadium, a full-size, all-weather 3G sports pitch and half a dozen other pitches.
- A fully equipped outside broadcast vehicle used by Solent students to broadcast live from events such as the Glastonbury Festival, and package up footage for international broadcasters like the BBC.
- A well-stocked library with flexible opening hours.
- A 60-metre hydrodynamic testing tank that provides professional testing facilities for watercraft design, temperature controlled-composite materials lab, 3D scanning and printing facilities, and a dedicated design suite.
- £1 million music recording studios
- A multi-function performance space and HD TV studio - one of the biggest HD studios in the south of England. Plus two fully equipped HD TV studios, eight radio studios and ten audio recording studios; photography, animation and green-screen studios; specialist fashion, hair and make-up studios; and a professional-grade newsroom.
- £1.3 million hi-tech sport science laboratories, including purpose-built labs for biomechanics,nutrition and psychology, and a BASES-accredited physiology lab. Data collection software, motion capture, eye-tracking, reaction timers, force transducers and more.
- The stunning Spark building, the centrepiece of the campus, wrapping five storeys of bright, innovative and accessible teaching spaces around a spectacular central atrium – including the eye-catching Pod, a unique elevated lecture room with an open-topped viewing platform.
- The new sports building, opened in the summer of 2019, adding two new sports halls, three fitness studios, a health and wellbeing gym, a strength and conditioning gym and further high-quality teaching facilities to the campus.
- Solent is investing £43 million in maritime facilities, including a new £6 million campus for officer cadet tuition that opened in 2017. Work has also started on a cutting-edge new simulation centre in the main campus, expected to open in summer 2019.
REASONS TO CHOOSE SOLENT
- Awarded TEF Silver in recognition of the University’s excellent teaching
- Rated five stars by the QS World Rankings for Teaching and Inclusiveness
- 95.2% of graduates in employment or further study six months after leaving - DLHE survey 2017
- Ranked 12th in UK for boosting graduate earnings – The Economist, 2017
- Ranked 8th in the UK for graduate business start-ups – HE-BCI survey 2016/17
- One of the top 100 fashion schools in the world - CEOWORLD, 2016
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?
The information on this page has been submitted by the higher education institution itself, and it varies how frequently they update it. If you want to know more, get in touch and one of our student advisors will answer all your questions!
Across the Pond is the official representative for this teaching institution for selected countries around the world which means we can help you apply to their courses and help with all the documents needed to submit an application. We can help answer questions about their courses and the institution itself as they do not necessarily have the capacity to deal with student enquiries from all around the world on a daily basis. This also means that they can ask us questions about your application and we can help explain if they are not familiar with your grades, academic background or the educational system in your home country. They also appreciate that students who apply through Across the Pond get the help they need, not only in terms of submitting the application and supporting documents, but also with everything needed before arrival in the UK, such as student accommodation, visa information, funding information and well as preparing for departure to the UK.