There are several types of degree programs in the UK: Bachelor’s, Foundation, Master’s Degrees and Doctorates or PhDs; all of which are all globally recognized qualifications. You can choose either a 3 year undergraduate degree in England and Wales and graduate with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) or a 4 year sandwich course which includes one year’s professional experience in industry or a year studying abroad.

If you choose to study in Scotland, you will follow a system that is more similar to the US one; in fact, the American university education system is modelled after the Scottish system. An undergraduate degree in Scotland takes four years to complete. While you will study a wider range of subjects than you would in England and Wales, unlike in the US you must declare a main focus of study at the start of your degree (though this can be changed during your studies, if you wish). Still, a Scottish undergraduate degree tends to be more focused than a typical US degree.

British taught Master’s degrees have a structure that is similar to American Master’s programs, however, the British version is arguably a bit more professionally oriented and can be completed in just 12 months, compared to the usual 2 years needed in the US, thus saving you time and money.

Main differences between US and UK degree programs

UK degrees tend to focus on the main degree subject from the beginning of the degree program and thus are more professionally oriented than the US liberal arts education, which requires each student to learn a broader curriculum. For students who have a clear idea of what they want to study, a British degree is ideal as you are allowed to specialize in your subject area from the start. UK undergraduate degrees are typically 3 years in length, with the exception of Scotland, where undergraduate programs take 4 years to complete.

The UK style of education is particularly suitable for students who want to immerse themselves in a specific subject or combination of subjects straight out of high school. British degrees leave the learning much more up to you, with the emphasis on lectures backed up by tutorials. Undergraduates are expected to extend their own research conducted on their subject and to motivate themselves outside of lectures.

There is a high degree of flexibility and choice with UK degrees. You can pursue your interests and ambitions in fields as diverse as Sound-Engineering to Marine Biology or Creative Writing.

How are British degrees taught?

  • Lectures - Formal presentations to large groups of students, who take notes on what is said.
  • Seminars - Small groups of eight to twenty students who discuss assigned topics with a tutor. 
  • Tutorials - More informal meetings in which one to three students discuss their work with a tutor. The close contact between student and tutor in seminars and tutorials is a particular strength of UK degree courses.
  • Continuous assessment - Depending on your degree course you will be expected to produce coursework, participate in projects, seminars and exams. Plus, depending on the course, produce a final dissertation and take final exams.

Undergraduate degree programs 

There are 2 types of British degrees which you can apply for as an undergraduate:

  • Single honours programs involve focused study of a single subject. The core of each program is already designed and you have the opportunity to shape your work by choosing additional modules.
  • Joint honours programs/Combined programs enable you to study a combination of subjects, creating opportunities for you to build a degree program to suit your personal interests and needs.

Graduate programs

At a Graduate level you have a choice between a taught or research-based Master's degree or a PhD.

  • The Taught Master’s or often called an MA (England and Wales), MLitt (Scotland) or an MSc, a taught Master’s takes 12 months and is very popular with North American students. It follows the same structure of classroom work and some research that you would expect from a US degree, but is more focused and thus shorter. In terms of recognition it is the same as a North American degree, but you save a year!
  • The Research-Based Master’s are degrees that can be called a variety of names including MSc by Research, MRes, and MPhil and are normally based on a research project you undertake rather than classes you attend.  Research-based Master’s usually involve working closely with a tutor and take around 12-18 months, but can take up to 24 months in some cases. Many students often begin this type of program and then transfer into a PhD. Part of your Master’s work is often credited towards your PhD and may serve as a basis for your PhD research area. As with a PhD, in order to be accepted for degree research based Master’s, you must typically submit a research proposal and have a strong academic background along with some research experience in the relevant subject. If you are particularly interested in a specific area and have perhaps already done some undergraduate research this may be the best option for you.

You're just 3 steps away from studying in the UK

  • Discover
  • Apply
  • Prepare
START HERE Speak to an Advisor today

Quick Enquiry

Download Studying in the UK: The Essential Facts for American Students